Tuesday, April 19, 2011

20th Century, and Popular Music! :)

   I want to talk about the class presentation first. I am thinking about talking about particular bands... Either Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, but that might be cliche. Or I could just do a blog post about one of the two. I'm sure yet. But anyway...

20th century and popular music is what I'm going to talk about in this post. Well I think I should start with the Beatles. To me, they are different from any band I've ever heard. The way they drew people in to listen to them was so clever. They attracted so many different audiences. From my great grandmother to my little sister, the Beatles are liked by anyone. And their songs, there are so many perfect songs that I can't even pick a favorite, or even a ''Top 5". They changed their style a lot, I think so people wouldn't get bored of them.
The Rolling Stones and The Who came next with the British invasion, which the Beatles of course started. ;) Their music also amazes me, even if it is way older than me. I would prefer to listen to it over any of today's music.
The Doors. In the 60s, they were different than anything that had ever been heard. The melodies and harmonies get stuck in my head easier than anything. And the rhythm they had was amazing. I've read several books about them, and a few about Morrison's life before and after the Doors. And Pink Floyd! One of my favorite bands in the world. Everything about Pink Floyd is perfect to me. Their lyrics are strange and inspiring, and the music behind those lyrics just draw you in and take you to a different place it seems...
Led Zeppelin came out in the late 60s, about 1968. The videos I've watched of their earlier shows were amazing. The audience were just sitting there, and it looked like they were in a trance. I would be too. They dominated the 70's, but in 1980 after Bonham passed on, they were done. I thought it was really classy that they didn't find a replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment